This article is about the Audience stage in a Marketing Tools broadcast. There are several stages which can be worked on individually (and in almost any order):
- Setup – the name and type of broadcast
- Audience – who the broadcast will go to
- Message – the broadcast message itself
- Testing – testing the message by sending tests to yourself, colleagues or a seed list
- Sending – sending the message
- Reporting – reporting on a sent message
Selecting your audience
The audience is who the message will go to and this step allows you to select supporters from your Engaging Networks database. This step will just determine the selection and not actually send the message yet.
As with most steps, you can skip this and go to a different step (e.g. Message) and go back to this task later.
Selecting an audience via a saved query
You can used a Saved Query (created via the query builder made in Data & Reports > Export) by clicking on one of the queries listed so it is highlighted. It’s also possible to edit them here.
Once you’ve selected your saved query, click the orange “Next Step: Start Building Your Message” button to progress to building your message. You will be taken to the Message step.
Selecting an audience via a new query
Click the orange “Create new query” button if you do not wish to use a Saved Query. This opens up the query builder, which allows you to use multiple filters to create your audience.
There are four types of filter, which allow you to build your audience, filter it, exclude, and filter for a participation date for a page action. Within each section are multiple filters that allow you to base your query on supporter data; opt-ins and questions; page data such as advocacy actions taken, donations made or event tickets purchased; email activity; and lots more.
- The blue “Build your universe” filter is an OR type query – this means that the more filters you add, the bigger the audience. It adds them together. For example City=London and a Donation made on a page means that either can be true
- The green “Filter your universe” filter is an AND type query – this means that a supporter is selected here only if every filter within this section is obeyed. For example City=London and a Donation made on a page means that both have to be true
- The red “Exclude records” filter will remove anyone that obeys any filters you add here
- The grey “Participation Date” filter allows you to filter for page submissions (advocacy or fundraising) made on a day or date range
You can also include an opt-in within this query, for example “Email opt-in” = “Y” would select those that have opted in. Placing this in the green “Filter your universe” area will ensure only opted-in supporters receive the email.
Once you have made your selections in the query builder, click “Preview query” to get the number of selected supporters, or “Use query” to save the query to your broadcast. The email will not send at this stage.
You will then be taken to the Message step.
Editing the Audience
You can go back to the Audience step to review or edit your Audience while building the broadcast.