To ensure that donations made using the Paypal payment type do not stay as “Pending”, clients need to set the notification URL to our callback URL, which internally calls PayPal to check the status of the transaction. Paypal calls this IPN (Instant Payment Notification).
Applying the callback URL
Here are the steps to take in order to have these changes apply to your Engaging Networks platform.
Gather information you’ll need in order to apply these changes
You will need your PayPal business account username and password
You will need to know which data center your Engaging Networks data is stored in. To check which data center you are in, check the url you log on to when you are accessing your Engaging Networks platform. If your login URL begins with “https://us.engagingnetworks.app/index.html#login” then you are in the US data center. If your login URL begins with “https://ca.engagingnetworks.app/index.html#login”, then you are in the CA data center. If you are not sure, please email support at [email protected].
Set up notification URL
- Go to your business profile settings in your Paypal account at this link.
- Login with your PayPal business account, then go to ‘My Selling Preferences’ on the left hand side then click on the update link next to ‘Instant payment notifications’ under the section ‘Getting paid and managing my risk’.
- Click the button ‘Choose IPN Settings’ on the next screen.
- On the next screen, copy and paste the URL for your data server (which depends on your data center from Step 1.2) into the box under ‘Notification URL’. The below URLs are updated based on the AWS migration despite using the e-activist domains.
– CA: https://e-activist.com/paypalipn.do
– US: https://us.e-activist.com/paypalipn.do
– Then, under ‘IPN messages’ mark the radio button next to ‘Receive IPN messages (Enabled).
- You should see the message below if you’ve setup your IPN correctly. To test all scenarios related to Instant Payment Notification (IPN), visit this link.