More and more donors are opening Donor Advised Fund (DAF) accounts to grow their giving through investment, but donating through Donor Advised Funds can be a lengthy and complicated process. Fortunately, thanks to Engaging Networks’ partnership with Chariot, Engaging Networks platform can now integrate with the leading Donor Advised Fund (DAF) providers. That means for the majority of your supporters, it takes just a couple of clicks without navigating away from your website to complete the donation – making it much more likely that your organization secures the gift.
Steps to setup the Chariot integration:
Register for a Chariot account
- The nonprofit needs to register for a Chariot account in order to start using the service here. You can follow this guide for more details: https://www.givechariot.com/post/getting-started-engaging-networks
Add Chariot as a Gateway in settings
- As a Super Admin, you can head to “Account Settings” -> “Gateways” and select the “New Payment Gateway” button.
- For “Select Gateway”, choose “Chariot Gateway”.
- Add the non-profit’s Employer Identification Number (EIN) number.
- Tip: you can check “Test Mode” for testing the solution against Chariot’s sandbox environment.
Set up Donation Settings in a campaign page
- In your campaign’s page, go to “Admin” -> “Donation Settings”, and select “I would like to add another merchant account or add support for digital wallets”.
- Select “Chariot” option and save.
Enable Donor Advised Fund as a payment option
- In your campaign page, go to your payment block and edit it.
- Check the “Enable digital wallet buttons” checkbox in this page and save.
If you would like to further customize the donation button, you can click on the settings cog at the right of this option, and it will show these options:
Next, you can test it on your campaign page:
Note: For testing purposes in a sandbox (test) environment, the following credentials will log in to any DAF provider:
Update donation status
Once the donation is processed, the non-profit will receive the funds either through a wire transfer or check. The details will include the Chariot ID. Afterwards, you can manually update the status of the donation:
- Head to “Lookup Supporter”, search for the donor, and open their account.
- Under “Single Donations” widget, find the Donor Advised Fund (DAF) Chariot donation and open it.
- Click on the status to manually update it.
- The non-profit needs to be 501(c)(3) registered in order to be eligible.
- All Donor Advised Fund (DAF) transactions will have:
- Initial status of “pending”. This is due to the way the funds are released from the financial institution, as it is not an immediate payment to the non-profit. Once the funds are received, the non-profit needs to manually update this status as indicated above.
- Payment currency must be USD in order for the Donor Advised Fund button to show in the donation page.
- To distinguish Donor Advised Fund (DAF) transactions from other transactions in your export, look for:
- “Campaign Type”: “FBS”.
- “Campaign Data 6”: “DAF”.
- “Campaign Data 12”: “Chariot Gateway”.
- Chariot will be charging clients, with the pricing governed by the clients’ own contract with Chariot.
- Engaging Networks will not charge clients any subscription-related fee for this new optional Donor Advised Fund (DAF) donation functionality, but our standard transaction fee will apply for any successful Donor Advised Fund (DAF) donations.
- To know more about average wait times for DAF donations to arrive to your organization, please follow this link: https://www.givechariot.com/donor-advised-fund-donation-wait-times
- You can either have a test (sandbox) or live gateway set up in Engaging Networks at any point (and not both).